Tooth Extractions – Lakewood, CO
Protect Your Smile and Remove Problematic Teeth
There’s nothing quite like your natural teeth. That’s why Dr. Vincenzo Artino does everything he can to keep your smile happy and healthy for life. Unfortunately, there are times when a tooth becomes so damaged, decayed, or infected that it poses a threat to the rest of your teeth and even your overall health. In these cases, Dr. Vinnie can protect your smile and remove problematic teeth with a quick, comfortable tooth extraction. If you or a loved one has a severely painful or damaged tooth, don’t hesitate to call us right away for the fast care you need.
When Is a Tooth Extraction Recommended?
Tooth extractions in Lakewood are certainly not recommended lightly. Dr. Vinnie will only recommend one if it’s absolutely necessary for your health and there are no other viable treatments, such as a dental crown or root canal therapy. Tooth extractions are usually used when:
- A tooth is damaged beyond repair.
- A tooth is so decayed or infected that it can’t be saved.
- Gum disease has damaged the jawbone and connective tissues that support a tooth.
- There isn’t enough room in the mouth for a new denture or orthodontic treatment.
- A baby tooth is preventing a permanent tooth from coming in.
What Is the Tooth Extraction Process Like?
First, Dr. Vinnie will work quickly to get you out of pain as soon as possible by applying local anesthetic to numb the area. This reliable numbing medication will ensure that you stay comfortable throughout the entire process. Once it’s in full effect, he’ll use a small device called a dental elevator to carefully begin to lift the tooth from its socket. Next, he’ll carefully grasp the tooth with a special pair of forceps and gently rock it back and forth. Eventually, it will break free of the remaining supportive tissues and slip out of the socket entirely.
Dr. Vinnie will then carefully rinse and disinfect the area to ensure that your mouth is completely clean. Typically, he’ll stitch the gums closed with dissolvable sutures to cover the extraction site and place a piece of clean gauze over it. Thanks to the local anesthetic that we applied at the beginning of your treatment, you should only feel occasional pressure throughout the entire process.
Tips for Healing After Tooth Extraction
Before you leave our office, we’ll give you specific instructions for how to care for your smile after your procedure. For a fast and comfortable recovery, we will typically suggest that you:
- Relax and avoid physical, strenuous activities for at least 24 hours.
- Take prescribed pain medication or recommended over-the-counter pain relievers as instructed.
- Reduce swelling by applying an ice pack or cold compress for 10 minutes on then 10 minutes off.
- Rinse with warm saltwater several times a day to keep bacteria and infection at bay.
- Stick to a diet of soft, nutritious foods for at least 48 hours and remember to stay hydrated.
- Refrain from smoking, don’t drink through a straw, and remember to brush the extraction site gently.
If you suddenly find yourself with an intense toothache or damaged tooth, don’t hesitate to get in touch with your Lakewood emergency dentist. We’ll do everything we can to get you out of pain right away and protect your oral health.